Posts Tagged Music
about composing the score for the documentary “Raped”. It’s in Norwegian.
Earlier this fall, Haap did a mini-concert with very stripped down versions of four songs from our upcoming Album. We are releasing these as an EP now on Tuesday, and the concert will also be availbale on YouTube.
Heidi Lambach is the lead singer and also share songwriting as well as arrangement, mixing and production duties with Jørn Lavoll.
– The creation of “Troubl’d” was in two seperate stages. The initial idea happened when Jørn was playing around with a very cliche 80’s sounding electric piano. (You will recognize it immediately when you hear the song.) I sincerely like that type of el. piano sound, cliche or not. Jørn played a few lines on that piano, and the melody and first line of text came to me.
– The rest of the song happened as we worked on that initial idea a few days later. In the distance, I could hear the chiming of church bells. And just like that, the entire song just “happened”. Story and arrangement and everything.
– The story in “Troubl’d” happens just as a bride is escorted down the nave of a church. The groom is waiting, his eyes lit with anticipation and love, family on all sides are crying of joy. Then the bride has a terrifying realization: “This wedding isn’t for me”. She flees the church, panicked.
What can you tell us about the genre of the song?
– The way I sing is inspired by a specific 50s pop ballad (I will not reveal which one, that is my private secret), and the arrangement is also influenced by 50s music. Some will also recognize that Jørn is very inspired by the TV series “Twin Peaks”, which worked really well for this song. For the bride in the song, everything around her is happening in slow motion. Normal, sweet things turn terrifying in her moment of realisation. The music reflects this.
What’s next for Haap?
– We are in a very fun and inspiring period with Haap right now. For almost a year, we have been writing the music. Seeing all the “puzzle pieces” of the album coming together so nicely is very inspiring. The album is very conceptual, and all the stories in the songs happens in what we call “The world of Haap”. A world very similar to our own, but a slightly surreal world where fantastic and magical things happen.
Is this a world you are creating only for this album?
– No, we will continue to explore this “world of Haap” on the next album as well. And most likely explore it for many years to come, probably with many of the same characters that you get to know in the songs on this first album. Without revealing too much of the story now, I can say that several characters start out in their own stories/songs, but they all meet later at a certain place.
Visit Heidi and Haap at http://www.facebook.com/musichaap
Haap’s music is available digitally:
- Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/artist/6SYbqLuzTtu1zXJHk0EEOv
- iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/haap/id281079307
- WIMP: http://wimp.no/wweb/artist/4864797
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/haapmusic
Read Heidi’s treatment of the song’s story (in Norwegian):
Det er en sirkel av lys i øynene hans, som om han alltid vil ha meg, alltid har villet, alltid kommer til å ville.
Jeg vil ikke, jeg klarer ikke, jeg kan ikke, jeg står i den fineste brudekjolen, og rundt meg er alt rosa. Klokkene ringer. Han venter der inne. På meg. Med lys i øynene, men snart vil det slukke, og det får meg til å forstå at smerte er en del av livet, men så vondt…Klokkene ringer. Det siste slaget. Døren blir åpnet. Kirketjeneren smiler bak de store brillene sine. Noen ordner med kjolen min. Jeg puster så tungt, ingen hører det, for orgelet spiller så fint, og alle er i en rosa verden, de ser ikke at jeg er en annen, de vil ikke se det. De bare står der, stirrer med store øyne, gråter av lykke, tror de, smiler….hvem er det egentlig som gifter seg her? Det er ikke meg. Jeg snur meg og løper ut igjen. Og jeg løper og løper. Jeg vet ikke hvor. Men da jeg plutselig står midt i en gul kornåker, forstår jeg. Jeg er fri. Men alene.
a video with an explosion in it! This is a little preview of the Haap single “The Story” which will be out this Sunday
A lot of videos of “Teslagrad” is starting to pop up on youtube.
Linn Kathrin Taklo and I are composing the music for this super atmospheric’y game. (It’s a million degrees here in Norway to day, I can’t think of proper words in english).
Also check out this gameplay preview from Greenlight: http://youtu.be/5nkBZAxJJOU
And enjoy our “sound” that we has created for this game. We are aiming for a “semi-classical + steampunk + lofi + a little bit of folk” feel 🙂
And Linn Kathrin and I also produced this song for “City of Friends”, the TV show.
This song will be part of the new live show of City of Friends 🙂
Because someties I make girlie indie-pop with an 80’s flare together with Linn Kathrin 🙂
Another preview of one of the songs from the upcoming Haap album. This bit is from near the end of the song, and check the belting power of both Heidi and guest vocalist Chris Lund!
The music has already gone through a couple of revisions since I made this video, like the guitars don’t sound like this anymore etc… But I think you will get an idea of how fantastic these two singers sound together 🙂